Notes for Jacksonville Armada vs FC Edmonton April 2, 2017
April 2, 2017
Eight days after the North American Soccer League season began, Opening Day has finally arrived for Jacksonville and Edmonton. Here’s a few notes for today’s game.
- We must of course, start at the beginning of this fixture’s history: Jacksonville’s Jemal Johonson scoring in 12 seconds, the first 12 seconds of Armada history.
- Eddies Still Recall Pain of of the 2015 Jacksonville Opener – Edmonton coach Colin Miller still feels like his teams owes Jacksonville one.
- Jacksonville’s all-time -record against Edmonton is 2-2-2, with both wins occurring in 2015.
- Jacksonville have scored 7 goals against Edmonton. That is the most they have scored against any active NASL team (They scored 11 against now USL-affiliated Tampa Bay).
- Edmonton have scored 6 goals against Jacksonville. That is the fewest scored by any of the seven teams against which Jacksonville has a full two season history.
- Jemal Johnson is the only active Armada player to score against FC Edmonton (Alhassane Keita is Jacksonville’s all-time leading goal-scorer against Edmonton, having netted two).
- No Jacksonville player has scored against Edmonton since Akeil Barret did so on October 17, 2015.
- Edmonton’s Sainey Nyassi and Abdoulaye Diakité have each scored a goal versus Jacksonville. Daryl Fordyce, who has two goals and assist to his credit against Jacksonville, now plays for USL side FC Cincinnati.
- The Armada’s Miguel Gallardo and Edmonton’s Matt Van Oekel were each in the net for five of the six games between their two teams. Gallardo has retired and Matt Van Oekel now plays for Major League Soccer side Real Salt Lake. He was named to the MLS Team of the Week after keeping a clean sheet in his MLS debut against the New York Red Bulls.
- Edmonton’s likely starting goal-keeper, Chris Konopka, made 26 appearances for MLS side Toronto FC from 2013 to 2015. While he was on the Vancouver Whitecaps roster for the latter part of 2016, he did not make any MLS appearances last season.
- Jacksonville’s likely starting goal-keeper, Caleb Patterson-Sewell, spent 2016 with the Portuguese squad SC Farense.
- Jacksonville defender Mechak Jerome has started and played every minute of the five games that Jacksonville has played against Edmonton since he joined the team.
- Jemal Johnson has started in each of Jacksonville’s matches against Edmonton.
- Today’s referee, Rubiel Vasquez , officiated the September 28, 2016 match between these two teams. He presented four yellow cards in the course of that match.