Notes on the 2009 storm names
June 1, 2009
As usual, this morning’s Tropical Weather Outlook for the first day of hurricane season gives the names allocated for this season along with some pronunciations:
NAME PRONUNCIATION NAME PRONUNCIATION
ANA AH- NAH LARRY
CLAUDETTE CLAW DET- NICHOLAS NIK- O LAS
DANNY ODETTE O DET-
ERIKA ERR- REE KA PETER
HENRI AHN REE- TERESA TE REE- SA
IDA VICTOR VIC- TER
JOAQUIN WAH KEEN- WANDA
- This the first of the six lists, whose use started in 1979.
- On the list for the first time are Fred, Ida, and Joaquin, which replaced Fabian, Isabel, and Juan.
- Ana and Claudette are the only names that have been used every time for this list’s turn in the rotation.
- Each of the five times there was a Tropical Storm Ana, it failed to become a hurricane.
- Rose, Sam, Teresa, Victor, and Wanda have never been used.
- Larry, Minda, Nicholas, Odette, and Peter were used only once (in 2003).