My new computer

February 2, 2009

A couple of weekends ago, I completed the somewhat quaint task of assembling a computer.

Parts were chosen on a value basis.  By no means was I going for maximum performance, but I didn’t go for the cheapest components either. As CompUSA recently re-opened stores in my area, I bought from them when possible.


  • Ultra MicroFly SX6 micro ATX case with 600 watt power supply. This was a close-out at CompUSA for $80.
  • Asus M3A78-CM motherboard. Again $80 from CompUSA, seemed to be the cheapest motherboard they had with modern technologies.
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor. Yet another $80 item from C-USA.  The motherboard dictated an AMD processor. This seemed to offer a good price/performance balance.
  • Western Digital Cavier Black 750 GB hard drive. $90 from New Egg.  A lot of reading of reviews went into this decision, yet it came down to a mental toss of the dart.
  • Sony DRU-V200S DVD burner. C-USA had these on sale for $30.  Pretty basic. Doesn’t have Lightscribe; to me that’s just something else that can fail.  Getting a Blu-Ray drive seemed silly as prices are sure to drop quickly.
  • Acer X193WBD. $130 from C-USA
  • 2 GB Kingston DDR2 1066 SDRAM.  The mother-board accepts up to 8 GB. Didn’t see any need to start maxxing it out just yet.

I downloaded and installed the 64-bit version of the Windows 7 beta along with 64-bit Ubuntu 8.10.

I scrupulously avoided Vista, so I can’t really say anything intelligent about 7 vs Vista.  That said, I have enjoyed using 7.

The only problem I’ve run into in Windows was with the Java plug-in and Firefox.  Since there isn’t an official 64-bit version of Firefox, I’m running the 32-bit versions of each.  The plug-in didn’t run out of the box.  Somewhat foolishly in retrospect, I filed a bug, thinking that it was a Windows 7 specific flaw.  However, while Googling around for a fix, I came across a blog post pertaining to the same problem in Vista 64-bit.  Following the steps in the post resolved the issue.

I didn’t have any sound when I fired up Ubuntu (apparently due to the on-board sound driver).  I fixed it, but don’t remember how (as I’m typing this from Windows, I don’t have the history handy to find the page that contained the solution I used). Otherwise, no issues.


One Response to “My new computer”

  1. techwoo Says:

    My new computer .Thanks for nice post.I added to my twitter.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: